Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Waiting Place by Eileen Button








A collection of essays describing the beauty and humor that can be found in what often feels like a most useless state—The Waiting Place.

We all spend precious time just waiting. We wait in traffic, grocery store lines, and carpool circles. We wait to grow up, for true love, and for our children to be born. We even wait to die. But amazing things can happen if we open our eyes in The Waiting Place and peer into its dusty corners. Sometimes relationships are built, faith is discovered, dreams are (slowly) realized, and our hearts are expanded.

With humor and heart-breaking candor, Eileen Button breathes life into stagnant and, at times, difficult spaces. Throughout this collection of essays she contends that The Waiting Place can be a most miraculous place—a place where beauty can be experienced, the sacred can be realized, and God can be found working in the midst of it all.

**************************************

Again, as with the previous book, I love that I don't have to worry about having to put the book down and then forget where I was at, or have to reread the chapters again.

It's small enough and written in such a way that I can pick it up and set it down as needed but not feel like I've lost anything along the way.

For me, I will say that the most captivating part of the book is that Eileen writes as if she was talking to you in person, as if she was sitting down across the table for a cup of coffee or tea and telling you about her experiences, her waiting places, what happened, how she got there and how she got through it.

The waiting place is something I think we are all very familiar with, that moment in time where we are left feeling that we can't move forward and can't move backward and don't know what to do, left helpless and with no control over what is happening around us. 

From the book I have learned that Eileen is actually a lot like I am and I suspect like many others out there.  She shares her moments of waiting, what she observed, what she took from it, what she thought and how she laughed or cried or worked through it.

Thank you Eileen for such a great book, I really enjoyed this one :)

Disclaimer:  I received this book for review from BookSneeze.  All my views are my own.

No comments: